BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Sunday, November 23, 2014

More Mail Runs

If it is cool enough, I am trying to do daily mail/paper runs for the fun of it and to get us back in shape. Yesterday I took Trask for a solo run to work on his crabbing to the left side of the road. Poor confused boy. The run started out with him nicely "lined-out" but when I said "hup" he laid down. Guess I didn't correctly convey that he was alone on this trip. Koyuk and Cedar were still in bed. I finally got him up and running and we quickly made it past the large pond to the Y in the road. Again he stopped. He has never taken the right arm but now I am not sure he realized it. He has always just followed the girls. A little help with "haw" (go left) and we were off again. The road was littered with large branches from the storm the night before. Each time he veered off to the left side of the road and then responded to my "gee-over", I parked the rig and rewarded him with his favorite string cheese. I them flung branches off the road on my way back to the rig. This was probably my slowest mail run ever but Trask came home well fed and the road got cleared.

Today it was foggy and misting during our run. The run itself was probably the fastest mail run I have ever done. The only moving picture I was able to take was near the top of the second hill. They ran so fast, I did not need to brake on the downhills to avoid running them down. Trask still occasionally crabbed to the left but overall did better staying behind the girls.
Team Nookies was so excited to continue running they were already lining-out when I got back to the tie-off with the Sunday paper.