BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Thursday, July 23, 2015

This and That From the Past Two Weeks

I spent eight, miserably frustrating, very hot (high 90's to 101) days - sunup to sundown- trying desperately to find the brake in the small invisible fence wire. The line surrounds several acres and was buried 15 years ago, 20+" deep.  Much of it was overgrown with blackberries, thistles, nettles and dense field grass. Until the professional came out to put in a new one, the dogs were stuck inside and little else was done around here.
I opened the Caboose mailbox to a very unwelcome surprise during my line search.
With the dogs sequestered, Vixen brazenly checked out Ferrari. I'm sure if I could get a harness on her, Team Nookies would fly. 
Early morning wake-up rumble. With the high fire danger, the loggers have to start around 4:30 a.m.  We awoke to the house shaking as three of these big machines and a huge bulldozer rolled past the house on the way to another section of woods.
 Morning light.
 Koyuk followed me about as I tried to capture the sharp morning light.
 I did not retouch this (or any of these) picture. The sky was actually that blue.
 The porch baskets.
Besides finally getting another invisible fence in and working, the highlight of the past week was winning the EYC Women's Cup. I have won this regatta several times in the past but this win was especially sweet. I was by far the oldest sailor on the 12 competing boats. Using knowledge in place of more youthful agility, I was able to take advantage of the stiff, shifting wind to pass everyone as I recovered from my horrible starts.
Of course I had to take pictures of the fur kids checking out the new treat bowl.