BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

RIP BrownStone Suka

Suka was from McKenzie's Christmas litter - the first BrownStone litter.  His forever family came from California with two active, young boys. Theirs was mutual attraction from first sight. Mr. Red let us know he was going to be their dog. Suka died 5/19/16. One of the two boys graduated from high school today and carried a photo of Suka with him during the ceremony. His mom sent me this wonderful tribute.
Suka was your name.  It seemed I had waited my whole life for you.  You were the final piece needed to make our family complete.  You sat in my lap the entire 400 miles home.  The neighborhood poured into our garage as we pulled in.  They were so excited to meet you.  When I got out of the car with you in my arms you were so overwhelmed by all the people reaching to pet you that you peed in my arms… I remember like it was yesterday. 
You quickly settled into the family.  The boys couldn't get enough of you, always hugging and kissing you.  They thought your puppy antics were hilarious...the way you walked with those big paws, your huge helicopter ears, those seemingly painted on eyebrows, and those big, beautiful, sweet, loving eyes.  Over the next year I lost about a half a dozen tiny toddler socks to your insistence on eating them...how many times did I tell those boys not to leave the socks on the floor?!  It didn't take long for you to choose me as your “alpha dog” and you became the ultimate “Mama’s Boy”. 
You loved family vacations.  Your favorite vacation though had to be to the snow...after all-that's what you were built for.  I swear you always had the biggest smile on your face as you went bounding through the snow.  As soon as you got back in the cabin, you wanted right back out!
When your feline brother showed up to our family you were so sweet and gentle.  You put up with him sleeping on your belly, biting at your legs and ears, and rubbing his body up against you as he walked by.  He loved you sooo much.
You loved the weekends, when Mom and Dad were home doing chores outside.  You stood with your tail wagging waiting for Dad to put his shoes on and take you out for the first chore of the day.  You would spend the whole day following us around the property.  You never needed a leash because all you ever wanted was to be with your family.
Your day to day life was all about hanging out with me in the garden, watching me do house chores and waiting for your family to get home from their day. You greeted us with so much love and excitement - I swore you were trying to climb into our bodies!  Great days to you involved kisses, belly rubs, hugs, then more kisses, then more belly rubs, and of course we can't forget the treats!
Your final year was difficult for all of us. You tried to keep up but it was becoming more difficult...all of the doctors appointments, testing, medicine, tube feedings.  But through it all you knew we loved you.  And so THE most difficult decision of my life had to be made.
My heart is broken, though I know time will heal it.  Even in your absence you will forever be a special part of this family, after all, you helped raise these boys.  You weren't just a dog.  You had a fantastic way of “stealing” hugs.  With that long snout, you would separate us so that YOU would get the hug!  I'm gonna miss that. 

And so with a heavy heart I say goodbye and I promise to remember you with happy memories and love in my heart.
You were a true friend.  You loved me unconditionally.  You protected me.  You comforted me.  You made me smile.  You made me laugh.  You made our family complete.  You will forever be in my heart. ❤️
Rest In Peace Suka 12/11/03-5/19/16