BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Fall in the Mountains with McKenzie

Ma Nature outdid herself for my annual fall trip to the cascades. The weather was warm. The air was still.  The fall colors were spectacular. I found myself gasping in awe as I drove up the Old McKenzie Pass; hiked and settled in; and every time I chanced on another view in the changing light. 
 North, Middle and South Sister
The Three Sisters Mountains are my sanctuary. I find so much peace and tranquility whenever I am up there. McKenzie has gone to the mountains with me every year of her life. (see previous blog) She has aged significantly recently. Having her with me on this trip was so special. I was not sure she would even be able to make it this year.
McKenzie took a slow pace with some rest breaks on the way in but once there she was able to lie in the sun and quietly spend alone-time with me.
Scott Lake is a favorite lake of mine and this is my favorite campsite. Other than some day hikers, we had the entire lake to ourselves.
Peace and tranquility with my best friend, a (lake chilled) jug of wine, loaf of bread and a view to take your breath away - heaven.
As the evening fell, the low sun rays changed the scene to match the crisping fall air...

and then the full moon rose.

  "Good Night my mountains".
In the morning the tent was coated with a thick layer of frost inside and out. Knowing I could easily dry everything, I had left the rain-fly off and door open to watch the night sky.
McKenzie was the first one up.
Many years ago, when I took my Camp Fire group for their first back pack trip, the menu was potluck. Every one of the girls brought bagels and cream cheese to share. After four meals consisting solely of bagels with cream cheese, they became a traditional Athey group backpacking staple.
The girls gave me this mug. Someday I plan to write a book titled "101 Ways to Use a Bandana in the Wilderness."
McKenzie also had bagel with cream cheese in with her kibble.  (No bandana table cloth but I did dry her bowl with one).
 "Good-Bye" my mountains until the snow has melted and I can come again.