BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Sunday, November 8, 2015

BrownStone Catch-up

I think summer has officially ended.  Yesterday, I picked another 5 lb basket of tomatoes and peppers along with a handful of raspberries. Today the rains have come back giving me an excuse to ignore the vegetable garden and the chore of racking up leaves.  Free time indoors means I can update my neglected blog.
BrownStone Cascade Mt. Koma, Liaka's family is the best.  They keep me up-to-date with pictures and notes on how she is doing, including her Howl-O-Ween party. (Unfortunately, I have been remiss in posting them for others to enjoy.)
Like a squirrel, instinct to preserve food for the coming year kicks in for me every fall.  Our pantry was empty of applesauce. I had to buy apples this year. The fruit trees came into bloom a month before the bees arrived. The resulting poor crop went for eating with nothing left over to can or dry. I was thinking of a "lug" of apples when I ordered them. I ended up with two "cases" (about 80 lbs) of apples.  We will have applesauce for a few years to come.
I dumped the peels and cores our in the yard for the deer.  With a preference for pears, until now, the dogs have shunned apples. I was surprised when they dove right into the pile.
A very long day got even longer. As I was cleaning up the myriad of pots and utensils used in canning, I noticed water running out cupboard below the sink - a lot of sticky, hot, soapy water.  Unknown to me, the drain pipe came unconnected when I was dumping out the caners full of  boiling hot water. Then I proceeded to wash everything. No rest with a celebratory glass of cider for me.  Everything had to come out from under the sink and get washed and dried.  Since it was already comping apart, I pulled out all of the plumbing to make sure nothing was clogged.  Then I got to learn about gaskets that disintegrate over time. In place of gaskets, I now have joints held together with gorilla tape.  
 The first batches of applesauce.
 While I mopped the sticky floor, Bambi enjoyed the remnants of the apple cores.
Tuesday I got to take the first rig run of the season.  Until then, it had been way too warm for the thick coated dogs to run. Cedar is recovering from a pinched nerve in her back, so she stayed home. Koyuk and Trask provided ample power and speed for Ferrari.
Team Nookies running in unison up the second hill.
I retied my snub-line but Ferrari still ended up in the ditch as I walked across the road to pick-up the paper.
The dogs still running in unison on the last corner toward home.
Ferrari will have to wait in the garage for a while. Thursday, Trask, along with almost all the other dogs in his class came down with kennel cough.  I vaccinated the dogs as soon as I heard about the outbreak, but apparently not fast enough for ever-friendly Trask. The poor boy is quite ill and is on antibiotics and a narcotic cough medicine.  Fortunately the other two have not come down with it. One dog coughing and retching all night is distressing enough.