BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

My Gardens

The last week has been dedicated to finding gardens that have become overgrown. Fifteen years ago I lined the banks of the stream from our spring with stone. I had created multi-tiered, waterfalls out of naturally hallowed logs that funnelled the water onto rocks below. Water moving though the logs had an eery, muddled sound. The logs have long since rotted away into the stream muck. The rock walls were taken over with blackberries, horsetail rush, stinging nettles and Joe-pie weed. That particular garden now looks whacked and barren. But, the stream can once again be seen and heard. This fall I plan to move several large boulders into the area and plant rhodys and ferns.

The other garden I reclaimed this week is a large woodland garden by the large pond. Yesterday with the help of Mindy, I made great progress on it. We pulled weeds all day long. Today she continued to pull weeds and transported several trailer loads to the burn pile. I now have beautiful trails along the pond and stream for my guests to enjoy.

I love my gardens. They are not professional but they please me and amaze guests when they are told all rock was found, transported and placed by me. All of my gardens are made of native stone and plants I have been given or propagated.

Tomorrow is the big Brown Ranch party. Strong, younger friends will be splitting and stacking firewood. Those inclined will go swimming, boating and play with the dogs. All of us will be celebrating Dave's birthday and all of our wonderful friends.