BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tangled Mountain Hiking

Every year of my life I have camped in the Cascade mountains during September or October. What started in a floor-less, canvas tent while still in diapers became a my personal pilgrimage when I was old enough to go alone. I am drawn by the crisp air and snow capped mountains framed by brilliant maples.
The litter of puppies severely cut into my time normally allotted to the garden, preserving food and getting in firewood. I have been cramming through these chores but the call of the mountains made me put down the knife and ax for a day.
My first puppy potty stop was the first leash tangle. Trask managed to wrap three posts and Cedar before I could get Koyuk and McKenzie out of the van.
Chinooks are very strong and determined trail dogs. I knew I could not hold four leashes, especially if I wanted to also take pictures. My solution was to wrap a regular leash around my waist and through the four flexi handles.
 Our first destination.
 Trask was unsure about the lake but finally did go in.
 Cedar and daughter Koyuk
 Trask and mom Koyuk
 McKenzie
I anchored the leashes to a heavy stump so I could move about and take pictures.
Trask
 Cedar
 Koyuk and Cedar
 Koyuk
 McKenzie
 Trask is drinking water between Koyuks legs.
 Trask
 "Come on mom"
After untangling everyone from the stump, we took another trail back to the van.
I had plans of hiking into a couple more lakes but the flexies were hopelessly tangled by the time we got back to the van. I settled for a photo-op on the lava fields before heading home. This time next year the dogs and I will camped at the base of the mountains in the background and I will have figured out a better leash system.