BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

My Heros

Yesterday my sister, Linda and brother-in-law, Chuck ran in the Half Hero Marathon. The marathon honors all vets - especially the wounded and those who did not make it home. The proceeds go toward helping disabled vets. I am not sure why it is called the "Half Hero" because all vets are our heroes not half of them or just the half that is still together as it was before they went to war. I would think "Hero Half Marathon" would be a better name but it must have been taken. I digress.
Both Chuck and Linda are recovering from major orthopedic surgeries. Being just a year and some younger than me, I miscalculated my sister's running ability. She beat me to the finish line by 45 minutes. I was still on the freeway when she called with her "where are you?"
Just as the dog's feet touched the ground, the sirens and fire engine horn blasted. The dogs and I jumped: "whoa-what the?". Every finishing runner got a heroes salute from the police and fire department as they crested the last hill toward the finish line. Appreciation salutes were also awarded by Nam Vet motorcyclists stationed at every intersection.
Chuck is a true military hero. He was career army before retiring disabled. He is the most honorable man I have ever met. He is kind, generous, thoughtful, honest.... there aren't enough accolades to describe him. My sister is my hero. I am ZPG. She bore and raised my 2.5 and her 2.5 beautiful nieces. She is a successful business woman. Her humor and drive have helped her thrive even with a major disabling disease.
To these two heroes in my life and to all American heroes: thank you.