BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Whoops!

My good friend Sandy is nearly blind. She is also game for trying anything. Over the years we have shared adventures from sailing in Greece to alpine backpacking.  I got this sled in anticipation of taking others dog sledding. We finally found a sunny day with snow on the ground that both of us were free.
After driving 100 miles, up and over the mountains then unloading the van, I realized I had forgotten the dog's harnesses.
The only thing I had in the van that might work were two easy-walker harnesses.  These are designed to prevent a dog from pulling when on leash. I put them on upside-down on Koyuk and Trask and let Cedar run free.  It became quickly obvious that the dogs could not pull both Sandy and me while wearing harnesses designed to keep them from pulling. The dogs gave it their all. In fact Trask slipped his harness twice with his efforts to get and keep the sled moving. I ended up pushing the sled while the dogs pulled and Sandy rode.
But Sandy still hadn't experienced the thrill of "silent running".  To that end, I left Sandy standing on the break while I ran ahead. When I told her to stand on the runners, I really was not expecting that the dogs would be able to take off so quickly. They blew right by me and on down the trail with Sandy yelling "do I have to steer this thing?!" Did I mention that she is blind and the dogs were running really fast?
About a 1/4 mile down the trail she had finally stopped the dogs with a "Whoa" uttered within her laughter. By the time I caught up, Sandy was in a tangle of tug lines and sled parts with the dogs attempting to turn the sled back toward me. She had stayed on the runners the whole way, even around a couple of corners, and was so excited she was almost speechless.
It was obvious that the dogs in no-pull harnesses could move the sled with one of us. Not really wanting to push the sled I elected to let Sandy ride while I ran ahead.
That mode only lasted a few yards until Trask decided that Sandy's lap was inviting and her face at the right level for a kiss.
We did eventually make it back to the van. I will never forget harnesses again.
Our short sled run left lots of daylight to play in the snow so we checked out the nearby resort.  We were the only guests there so the owner allowed the dogs to run free. 
The lake near the shore did not appear to be frozen until Cedar broke through the ice in her attempt to get a drink.
Our side trip proved to be a really beautiful and fun adventure in itself.
Sandy and the dogs are so game for anything - finding joy in even unplanned adventures. A lesson to remember when things don't turn out as planned.