BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Monday, January 16, 2017

Birthday Weekend

My birthday weekend started with a Saturday trip to the ski area where I found 20 degree sunshine, uncrowded slopes and very sore thighs. Why does my mind/heart try to overwhelm my body? As much as my muscles were screaming at me, I kept skiing and not just the easy runs. It was so beautiful. This getting old thing sucks when you desire the adventure of a 20 year old.
My plan to stick to the easier runs flew out the window with my skis. The top of the mountain beckoned.
That night I paid for my enthusiasm. I ended up breaking a couple inches of ice off the hot tub lid and crawling in about 2330. As the clock struck midnight, Orion smiled down on me from the clear sky. The near-full moon lit the frosted trees.  It was so cold, the steam was condensing and snowing back down on me. Not a bad way to start my 67th year. 
The next morning I jumped up; grabbed a birthday banner and my camera and; headed outside to enjoy the splendor of the day.
The night's frozen fog left an icing on everything making the nature around me more beautiful than any festive frosted birthday cake.
It was so cold and the ground so crusty, only Trask joined me as I slid around in my slippers while taking pictures.
Trask tried his best play posture to entice me into a game of Chinook Tag in fallen branches. "Not gonna happen big boy".
"But mom, the others are still in bed".
After breakfast, I too joined the three dogs in bed. It was my birthday after all. When I awoke, the sun was cresting the top of the ridge.
Camera time again. The backyard scene will be quite different once the snow melts and all the branches brought down by the ice storm emerge. But, until then...
 a winter wonderland for my birthday.
Being born in the middle of January and living in Oregon, I have rarely seen sun on my birthday. Even rarer still snow.
 This year I had both.
 Vineman joined in my "Life if Good!" cheer.