BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Almost Looks Like Christmas

Every year about this time, I head out into the woods to get the makings for Christmas gift wreaths and my lighted hanging baskets.

With the summer fuchsia baskets tucked away in the greenhouse, my porch looks bare. I replace the flower baskets with festive red and green baskets full of greens, cones and mosses. During the day, they are just seasonal hanging baskets. At night, they look like crystal chandeliers. I weave grapevines from my garden to make the wreath frames. The wreaths themselves are made up of as many different textures of evergreen boughs as I can gather. I then add berries, cones, moss and lichen. This year I threw in feathers left by our abundance of molting, wild turkeys. At the end of the season, the wreaths and basket contents are placed back into the woods for the forest creatures to feast upon. Eventually everything is composted back into the forest duff.

My wrist took a beating from the work of making the wreaths but all I have to do is look at them and the pain goes away. I love holiday decorations and the cycle of making something beautiful from Ma Natures treasures and then returning them to her to renew.