BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

OMG - River is Beautiful!

Hi Kay Lee,
We keep working on leash walking, and River keeps getting better and better, but I still need regular reminders not to let her pull me around. I'm sorry I haven't sent pictures for a while--it's been a busy fall. I've been glad for River, who guarantees that I'll get out and walk in the woods every day, no matter how busy I get. She has tons of energy outside and no qualms about mud or rain, so she's always up for a hike, particularly if her dog buddy Arlo can come with us.River is really doing well and is becoming a great companion. She's about the cuddliest dog I've ever seen (which we love), and spends most of her down time snoozing on our bed, preferably wedged in between us. I think in one of your recent emails you mentioned that Cedar always wants to be sleeping as close to you as possible--well, River's that way, too. She sleeps in her crate at night but I have to admit that I've let her sleep on the bed once or twice when Danny's been gone, and I always wake up in the morning with her head on my shoulder.
River has her mother's tongue
Her training is going well, but I'm looking forward to taking another obedience class with Julie, hopefully soon in the new year. The best thing about obedience class, I've found, isn't what River learns in class, but that the classes help keep me motivated to work with her every day. I think you asked whether I'd done a companion dog certification with her yet--I think I'll wait till she's a bit older and has had one more class before I try it. She's getting there and is a very quick learner, but is so friendly (Danny calls her the social butterfly) and distractible at this age that I don't know if she could maintain the focus needed for the test. Occasionally she will meet a person she's not quite sure about and needs to take her time approaching them, but for the most part she's confident and friendly with everybody (and she's such a sweetheart that everyone loves her).
River absolutely loved the recent snow! We had a great time playing outside with her while it lasted--I can't wait to try her out in some sort of harness when she's a bit older. Hope all's well, and that you're enjoying the season (and best wishes for a swift recovery for your wrist)--Leila