BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Wonderful Weekend but Monday Stinks

This weekend was jam packed full of wonderful fun.
Saturday, I drove to Salem for my father and step mother's birthday celebration lunch and all the ice cream sundaes I could eat. Then back to Eugene for a dog club meeting. On the way to the meeting, I made a Girl Scout Brownie very happy when I bought one of each kind of cookies for my potluck contribution. Wander through an unknown grocery in search of a cheese plate or buy Girl Scout Cookies at the door - that was a no brainer! Potluck is just that. To this one, most of us brought deserts including a huge cake to Celebrate Puck's MACH.
Sunday, was skiing in 6" of new, cold, powder over groomed runs. I am not a fan of really deep powder but this was a blast.
This morning, Monday, started way too early and only got worse. I had to get up at 0400 to drive Dave to town to catch a ride to a meeting. I am not a morning person. After only four hours of sleep, I opened the door to leave and the dogs bolted after deer. We really had to get to town - now. McKenzie heard "load up". She ran back and jumped into the van. The other two did not heed our calls. While I opened the kennel door so they could get into the house after finally ending their chase, Dave tried to start the van - dead battery. We are getting late. Everything including McKenzie, who did not want to leave the van for fear she would be left behind, was moved to the truck. At the sound of diesel, the other two dogs came running back.
We have never seen skunks here but as I loaded Cedar and Willy into the truck, the unmistakable odor gagged me. Is tear gas made from skunk anal grands? Three large dogs and two coughing humans with smarting eyes in a crowded pick-up truck cab - not pleasant.
A confession: When Dave is not here, all three dogs sleep on the bed, each trying to make as much contact as possible with me. There was no way I could go back to bed without giving the dogs baths. Multiple baths. No tomato juice in the pantry. Little, 6 oz ,cans of V8 would have to do. I was not going to get dressed and repeat the mal-odorous trip to town in search for a store open at 0500. Since I am never up at 0500, I don't even know if stores are open. By the fourth scrubbing, I had V8 and dog shampoo all over the mud room, me and my PJs and two soaking wet, tolerably, stinky dogs.

The dogs needed to dry before I could go back to bed so I took time to do laundry; read the paper; trudged to the barn for the battery charger; and eat a chocolate/peanut butter, Skinny Cow, ice cream bar. My stash of dog towels is primarily white. Not wanting to waste water and electricity, I threw white laundry (underwear) in with the load of towels. Note to readers: Costco laundry soap and bleach only distribute skunk odor throughout the load.

Coffee and another Skinny Cow for breakfast and I am still up. I wonder how much ice cream I will consume before the day is out?