BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Friday, June 22, 2012

Internet Withdrawal - Gone Sailing

Who knew going without the internet for 3 days would be so hard?  But now I have a shiny new modem.

This was my 35th year teaching sail school. Because of the anticipated litter of Cedar's puppies, I had declined this year. But alas, when asked at the last minute, I could not resist the opportunity to teach sailing on my favorite boat, the Laser. Besides, I could not get on the internet and one can only pull so many weeds.
Twenty students. Eighty degree weather Wind 2 kph. 
A Laser is an Olympic boat and a speedster. Usually such a large class means kids in boats scattered all over the lake by the time everyone gets launched. This year they were scattered about but not quite so far. To "teach" handling skills without letting the kids know they were "learning", we often play games. With this game, we tossed 50 tennis balls and numerous water balloons in the water. The kids collected and tossed balls at the other team. If you were hit, you had to dump your stash. The balloons were just for wet fun. Of course, we tortured the kids with sailing drills too.
I was able to sail my Laser, Sweet Spot, away from all recent stressors for a few hours each day then come home to my excited dogs. Much better than weed pulling therapy.