BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Nightmare Continues

Yesterday I received a call that Dad had taken a turn for the worse and that I should come. I threw dog food, spare clothes and the dogs into the motorhome and headed north.. Dad rallied after I got there but checking him with the stethoscope, I could hear that he was in pretty severe heart failure. I did not think taking the dogs would be an issue. Dad loves the dogs. They are so stressed away from me right now. They relax at his place and do so well around strangers. That evening I noticed they were chewing on something. When I checked it out, I saw a large tin with blue-green pellets. A while ago Decon had been put out and forgotten. I rushed them to the emergency vet where they spent the next four and a half hours vomiting and drinking activated charcoal. I was up with them most of the night. They will be on Vitamin K for a month. Only time will tell how much damage was done.
Today we put Dad into the hospice system then I came home to snuggle with the dogs and sleep.