BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Friday, November 22, 2013

Cold Day Activities

Yesterday it was 20 degrees and windy when I took the dogs for a rig run. Because of my bronchitis, I have not run since LaPine. To get into shape both the dogs and I need to get back into the routine of daily runs. No pictures. I did not want to trust my Cannon or hands to the freezing cold.
The rest of the day was spent inside. I put the sixth and seventh coats of fur laden, spar varnish on the small collection of parts that make a dog sled. (Canine patina - after a couple of coats I gave up trying to totally remove fur flying off playing dogs).
Between sled varnish coats, I tackled the kitchen sink. What started out as a fairly simple replacement of an instant hot system, thanks in part to he for whom everything that fits into his mouth belongs there, became a complex plumbing job. To replace the system I had to remove the faucet with it's four lines. It was held in place by a long screw located way up behind the sink itself. To get there, I had to wiggle myself under and behind the insinkerator and all the plumbing. Once wedged, I reached for my flashlight. I finally found it across the room in Trask's pile of toys. The game of wiggle-wedge-reach-puppy kisses-wiggle out-search was repeated several times with the screwdriver, wrench, flashlight and set screw itself. All of my movement and Trasks antics tweaked the rest of the sink plumbing loose. As I was straining to re-screw the faucet set screw, the pea-trap fell off soaking me with waste water.
Rather than just replace it, I decided to take all the plumbing apart to clean the pipes and tighten the now loosened joints. Plastic pipe with greasy residue proved too much a temptation for all of the dogs. As soon as I set a section down, it was mouthed and became a tug toy. The job in total took way too many hours but it was a great excuse to not go outside to pick up storm damage limbs and pull weeds.