BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Finally Got Brave (and Brakes)

My Chinooks are the ultimate couch potatoes except in harness where they turn into strong, determined, speed daemons. I have to admit that I have been quite nervous about running Ferrari, my dog rig, since my terrifying spill after the brake cable on my new disc brakes broke. The bike co-op stated that they had never heard of, let alone seen, a broken brake cable until I brought Ferrari back to them. They not only replaced the cable but installed a back-up set of traditional bike brakes. All I needed was the doctor's clearance that I could run and the nerve to actually put my body at risk again. I got the former and tested the latter. With Dave home to pick up the pieces, I took off.
One "hike" and they were off...
 airborne in their excitement.
 We flew...
 and made it around the first corner.
 A mile and the hills later they were still flinging gravel and mud.
By the time we got back home, Cedar was in the lead; Trask provided the power; Koyuk was still running and I was all smiles.
How could I ever deny Team Nookies the opportunity to mush?