BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Turkey Trot

The forest fire restrictions were finally lifted.  Time to get the logs I had bucked up in the spring. I had not been up in the woods since the loggers completed the thinning. What once was a wheel-rut of a road was now wide enough for passing log trucks. Several new skid roads had been put in. The dogs and I had all sorts of new places to check out.
Thanks to the clear-cut next door and our thinning. we now have a clear view of Spenser's Butte. This old Madrone is the only live tree left in the middle of the clear-cut.
Trask and Koyuk disappeared from a corner of the property we had not been to before.  Cedar stuck with me during our long search for the wayward dogs.  This summer the loggers spotted a bear at a spring. They turned it into a pond for him. It also proved to be a refreshing pool for hot and thirsty Cedar to get a drink and swim in. 
We finally spotted Trask with his usual something being carried in his mouth.
Trask and Koyuk had caught and killed a turkey.  Trask was quite pleased with himself and only relinquished the bird to wash feathers out of his mouth and take a quick swim in the new spring pool.
Trask, Koyuk and I had quite a three-way, tug-of-war with the turkey. After being pulled onto my butt and down the hill, I was able to lasso the bird's legs. I then tied my rope to the quad. Trask hung on until a wing parted from the carcass.
While the dogs were occupied with the wing, I grabbed what was left of the bird and dashed away to a cliff where I tossed it off into a thicket of blackberry bushes. When I returned, little was left of the wing and the dogs were ready to head home.