BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Sailing Days of Summer

The Eugene Yacht Club only has one downfall. They don't allow animals. But all is not lost. When I am there, the dogs are home gnawing on fresh marrow bones.
The week long sail school started this year with a spectacular sunset ("red skies at night, sailors delight"). The full moon came up through a break in the clouds but by the time I got my camera and then ran back to to the trailer to get the right lens, I missed the moon. Not to despair, there were plenty of other opportunities to get a nice shot.
Looking south-east over the lake.
 As the light darkened, I turned around and spotted the western show.
I got to teach my favorite class: the beginning Laser. The Laser is an Olympic class boat and was designed for men 6'+ and 190+lbs.  Most of my students weighed under 110 soaking wet and were truly beginner sailors. None were over 140 lbs and some had never sailed.  Lasers are very fast boats with a powerful sail. With 12 of them zooming across the lake, the class can often present 12 simultaneous challenges. The red skies did bode well for a few days and the weather held with reasonable winds for the first 4 days.  Then chaos struck. North-South on Fern Ridge lake is the longer length. The club is at the north end. The winds we encountered came gusting in from the south, fetching large waves, as it roared north. The waves were so large, cockpits were awash. The gusts were so strong the big boat class didn't even go out. My students didn't stand a chance. The brunt of the storm hit after we were all launched and onto the lake. Fortunately I had three high school assistants for the day. (This was my day to stay dry so I added one.)  With my three guys already occupied rescuing students and righting boats, it became my turn to jump in the water. Before we all made it back to shore, I had dealt with four turtled boats - two of my own. Getting this old body out of the water, onto a boat, righting it and then managing to get my bulk back on board without it tipping over again is a chore on the best of days. This picture was taken after I stepped from a rescue motorboat onto a student's turtled boat. The rest of my saves came from in the water. The rescue boats picked up and ferried the cold kids to shore while we swam to their boat, righted it, and sailed it in. I was soaked and exhausted by the time I got my last boat to shore.
I do love wind like that but passed on the opportunity to take my boat out for a ride. The final day was almost windless. The kids again reveled in flipping and righting their boats while drifting in the 90 degree sun. No fear. Back on the bicycle.
EYC is a great big family where everyone is your friend. Every year July 4th is celebrated with all the joy and fellowship the holiday is intended. Of course, what is a 4th without a parade?
This year commodores past, present and future were honored. Dave wasn't really excited about putting on his Order of the Blue Gavel tie but in the end did agree to ride in the parade with his peers.
 The neighboring farmer joined in with a hay ride float full of kids.
 The commodores with honor guard.
 I draped our trailer for the occasion.
 The parade route circled the grounds.
 
 Dave out of his obligatory duds and into his pyro garb
After the parade, there was a dunk tank, family games, sailing and a pot luck happy hour followed by the group BBQ. 
This was the 48th year Dave has been in charge of large fireworks. Come early afternoon and he is all serious concentration.


While these guys set off the show, the rest of us enjoyed hot chocolate with marshmallows, whip cream and RWB sprinkles. Adults had our own special version to sip and enjoy.

We are so lucky to be part of this community - now only if they would allow dogs.