BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mud Covered Brakes Don't Work

For someone who is terrified of going fast downhill, I don't know why I continue to pursue non-snow, mushing sports. Could be because the opportunity to dog sled is so rare and I so want to be on a dog sled. But a dog sled has brakes that slow and even stop forward motion. Not so with my new cart. Today I finished remodeling my sail boat trailer into a dog cart trailer. Being pleased with myself, I loaded up the dogs and took it out for a spin. The road I have been fantasising running the cart on turned out to have way too many and very steep hills. Funny how terrain looks different when being evaluated for limited braking power going downhill and pushing a cart uphill. High speed impact on asphalt was not how I want to spend my day - ever!

I drove back home for the trailer shake down cruise. I could easily get the rig off-loaded - check. The dogs did not eat their harnesses while waiting in the van - check. Hooking the snub line to the trailer was adequate to hold the rig while excited dogs lunged - check. I got on board, pulled the release snatch block and we were off.

Our part of Oregon has been having record rain. Everything is saturated. The property dirt road goes through last summer's log loading deck. The loading area has not been cleared of branches, small logs, unearthed boulders or 1" thick chunks of bark. It is also on a downhill stretch. The cart was jostled and tossed about as I tried in vain to slow it down. The brakes and tire tread were coated with slick clay mud. The dogs had a great time running full speed and leaping over obstacles as I yelled "easy" then "whoa". If I was an adrenalin junkie, I would have called the ride exhilarating. But I am not. I am an old lady.

Willy, McKenzie and the cart coated with mud from the run. (Cedar went for a swim to wash off prior to this picture being taken).