BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Critter Taxi

When I entered the garden today, I heard a new-to-me bird call - "pur-chirp" - in my berry patch. I thought a wayward bird brought in by our strange summer weather was feasting on my blueberries. I was excited to see it and pissed at the same time.

I now know what a raccoon sounds like when it is not hissing and growling.
Around here raccoons wreck vegetative havoc on par with a herd of deer. Perhaps more. They can raid the garden. Raccoons have an uncanny knack of knowing exactly when fruit is ripe. They wait until the night before my planned harvest to feast leaving me only colorful, pit filled poop. They can strip a fruit tree before the sun rises.

This girl was really pissed watching me pick the blueberries she had her eyes on. She actually bent the bars on the trap. Hopefully a noisy, bouncing ride in my quad trailer, aka Critter Taxi, was enough to dissuade her from ever again coming to the garden side of the ridge.
Calliope Hine Up-Date:
Calliope lives in New England and experienced her first hurricane. Her grandmother sent me this post:
"We just spent two days with a droopy dog, two kids and three grown-ups with no running water and no power...Nonna"
I think Nonna and Gwyn have topped me. I can't imagine caring for a new born during and post hurricane. I will never again whine about a litter of puppies with no power and water.