BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Dad

Yesterday was a day of agonizing misery. I had about 20 hours of migraines, complete with repeated auras, nausea, unequaled pain... I could not get on top of them. My wonderful Chinooks knew I did not feel good. They would not leave my side even with the doors open and the ability to roam as far as they wanted. They did not bug me - just stayed near. My plans had been to visit my dad but I hid in the dark.
Today I felt well enough to don dark sunglasses and drive to Salem. It has been far too long since I have spent time with dad and Iris. Only McKenzie went with me. She is so mellow and Iris really loves to sit by and pet her. Calm as they are, I was afraid three big dogs might overwhelm and possibly trip Dad or Iris. They are in their 90's after all.
I learned more about dad's childhood. He never really talked about it with us while we were growing up. He told a great story about when he and his brother Hector got into trouble at his grandfather's farm. A cousin had told them about the "wild" chickens that roost in the trees. Wanting some money, that night after a day of plowing the field behind the horses, they rigged a snare on a pole and caught some chickens. The next day they sold them to the store keeper only to end up paying his grandfather back for the chickens and having to plow a few more acres.