BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Stranded

Every Thursday my niece writes "Awkward Thursday" on her blog about awkward events from the previous week. This week I am joining her. After missing several weeks, I finally was able to flee to the lake for Wednesday night dingy racing. Heading out to the race course I realized I did not have any kind of wind indicator on my Laser and the wind was variable direction, 1K to zero speed. It was 92 degrees out and I really wanted to be on the water and make the most of racing so I drifted back to the dock and headed to our trailer to get a piece of mylar cassette tape for the boom. The door was locked! The keys were inside along with my purse, car keys and cell phone.
The door on our trailer has not locked for about 10 years. Heck, it hasn't even completely closed for about 5. But after paying different pros to fix it over the years, Dave and I took it apart this spring and totally rebuilt it. Our coercing into shape, adding braces and hammering of the door must have somehow jolted the lock mechanism. AARG!
I went to the yacht club caretaker to see if she had a key. She did not have mine (we haven't needed one for a door that did not even close) but we grabbed keys from the other trailers to see if one might just work. Nope. I then called Dave from the caretakers trailer. He was teaching a Ski Patrol Outdoor Emergency Care (EMT) course to patrol candidates and really could not get away. The drive from the classroom to our house to get keys then out to the lake is about 2 hours anyway.
Plan B. The caretaker and I took her truck to a trailer junkyard to see if they had a master key. (I owe her big time). No master key but we gathered all the keys they had accumulated over several years and headed back to the lake. I tried every key. While many fit, none opened the door. Usually I can get myself out of whatever situation I find myself in but I was stranded. I called Dave again. He had found a replacement and was on his way home.
It was getting dark by now with lightening and threatening rain. Everyone had gone home. I was still wet from rigging my boat. My dollar hamburger dinner was in the locked trailer. On the bright side, I had a warm Mike's lemonade from my non-sail and it was still in the high 70's.
Dave showed up as I was searching a comfortable place, out of the rain, to hang out. He had not found his set of trailer keys (they were locked in the trailer) but he had grabbed our motorhome keys along with my car keys. The motorhome key worked! I gave him a kiss; put on dry clothes; threw my lifejacket into the trailer; grabbed my horrible tasting dinner and purse and headed home as it started to pour. I got here in time to catch the nightly news.
When we got home, Dave told me his Plan B: call the county Chief Sheriff. He lives near the lake and surely has ways of getting through locked doors other than breaking them down - doesn't he?