BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Ferrari Gets a Butt Lift

While waiting for my old, very slow computer to connect to the internet, my hired computer geek spotted a page on dog rigs sitting on my desk. When I explained dog rigs to him, he said "I can weld".  With time on the clock while waiting to boot up, we headed outside to examine my dog rig. Ferrari has always been hard on wheel bearings and very unstable. Without Willy, Team Nookies is down to two dogs. I needed a lighter and more stable rig.  A plan was hatched.  Thus started my mission to locate two identical, used, 20" BMX bikes. for parts - impossible.
Bright and way too early yesterday morning, Gordon showed up with his welder. 
I ended up way outside my comfort zone as we both sent sparks flying at each other while taking apart Ferrari. Yes, a grinder generates enough heat that attempting to just snap off a piece of expanded metal burned right through my leather glove and deep into my finger. The work smelled as much like super heated metal as singed hair and flesh.
Eight hours and one trip to the steel store and bike co-op for more used parts, Ferrari was 2/3 way through her butt lift and refit. Dave came home from work to lend a hand.
It took 12 hours but Ferrari has a new rear and the BMX bikes are left over just pieces. 
Today was one more trip to the bike co-op to donate our unused bike bits and buy our missing pieces, hardware store for sand paper and lots of elbow grease to file and sand the rough spots. After a bit more welding, grinding and paint, Ferrari will be a whole new rig. Then as soon as I learn the art of tuning wheel spokes, Team Nookies will be on the road again.