BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Monday, September 10, 2012

Fire Postponed Wilderness Trip

Willy on our 2011 Bobby Lake trip. 
Every year for as long as I can remember I have taken at least one fall wilderness backpacking trip. Some people go to church, I go to the mountains.  This year I wanted to get backpacking titles on the dogs. I had them officially weighed in preparation for our first "counting" trip. We were going to go to Bobby Lake. The morning I was to leave, the front page of the paper headlined a forest fire at  Bobby Lake that had started overnight. Nix that trip. 

My next planned trip was to head into the Sisters Wilderness from Pole Creek. Last year I went into the wilderness from the west, this year was to be the east. 

2010 Pole Creek Trail-head. Right now where we were standing is a raging forest fire. 
Willy and Cedar camping on Pole Creek trail
Pole Creek Fire from Sisters Oregon The above campsite is on the ridge, about where the smoke hits the North Sister on the right of the picture. (from KMTR news)
Again the dogs were officially weighed and packs were packed. I got up this morning to the radio news headline: "Forest Fire at Pole Creek Started During the Night". 
Pole Creek Fire from KMTR evening news
By the evening news, the fire was zero % contained and over 2000 acres. If Ma Nature and the fires let me, guess it will be the west side again this year. For now the access to primary trail-heads on both sides of the Wilderness are closed. I will eventually get up there this fall. Thanks to working as an Outward Bound instructor, I know some obscure, though less scenic, trails I can use.