BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Dog Treats, Bears and Cougars

This saga starts with a really good deal on NY steaks. Around here we feel that if you are going to eat meat, eat the best. If you can get a great price on the best, stock up. However you can't stock up if the freezer is full. "Clean out the freezer" has been on the top of the to-do list for a couple of years now but has been largely ignored. Each season's harvest of fruits and vegetables along with Costco packages of  beef and chicken have been just crammed in until freezer capacity was maxed.
Before I could clean out the freezer, I had to empty the bottomless compost bin. We have had a long standing (20 year) joke about how no matter how many harvest scraps and coffee filters we add to the top, the compost bin never fills up. I knew that out-of-date frozen fruit and vegetables would probably exceed even it's "bottomless" capacity. Time to clean out the compost bin. Twenty plus year's of worm castings are compact and heavy. After a couple bucket loads taken out the bottom door, I realized that the only way I was going to empty it was to tip it over and move it. Of course I had to make a new place to move it. That done, over it went. Using a garden tub I made enough trips from the compost bin 50' to the Kubota to fill up the dump bed. Then I took several trips with the tub to the chip pile to cover up and fill in the first compost bin location. (Rotting compost can be deadly to dogs so I placed 6" deep of chip to dissuade them of feasting). I could/should have used the wheel barrow but it was full of firewood and unloading the wood into the house would have been another step. Multiple trips with the garden tub seemed the best option at the time.
Since I need my Kubota dump bed to continue my Icemegeddon cleanup, I had to empty it of worm castings. Due to standing water in the garden until August, my garden consists of tractor tires with rims cut out. Each year I dig out the old dirt and refill with compost before planting. I have not yet dug out the old dirt but decided the worm casting are so rich, mixed in with last year's dirt, I would still have excellent vegetable beds. Last month we had record rain fall. The standing water in the garden is up to 10" deep in places and the ground is very soft. A simple trip to dump worm castings evolved into getting the tractor to wench out the stuck Kubota. De-winterizing the roto-tiller and tilling in the worm castings ended that task and filled my boots with water in the process.
Work supervision crew.
The new steaks were still chilling in the refrigerator. Now it was finally time to clean out the freezer. All of the frozen vegies and dried fruit went into the garden tub and meat into a large cooler. Multiple trips throwing away labor/energy intensive preserved fruits and vegies were made to the quickly refilling compost bin. I am sure the poor worms were in shock after being bombarded with frozen beans, tomatoes, peppers and fruit.
Then came time to sort the meat. Both age and 8 days without power had caused a lot of freezer burn. Some was still edible. Some was good to be cooked and made into dog treats and the rest had to go. We don't have garbage service out here. On the way to town, I chased down a garbage truck to see if I could persuade him to take my cooler of frozen meat for some cash but he declined.
Plan B. A couple days ago there was a very large, dead raccoon on our drive. When I came back from my town trip, it was gone. Apparently major predictors have moved back in close to the house. Known bear, cougars, lynx and fox inhabit a far corner of the property. I decided to leave them a feast and hopefully draw them away from the house side of the ridge. I drove with my cooler to the far corner of the property; scrambled over the tiddlywinks of ice downed trees until I found bear and cougar tracks and; left a frozen feast.
The steaks were still chillin' and it was almost time to put them in the near empty freezer but first they had to be shrink wrapped. That done, it was time to create training treats for the somewhat patient dogs.
"OK, now where are our treats!"
Sorry guys, the meat has to defrost before I can slice and dry it into jerky.
A Really good deal on NY steaks turned into a really involved series of tasks. But now I can erase "Clean out the freezer" from the to-do list and I have a stash of NY steaks; the dogs have NY steak jerky and; the predators have large helpings of meat to enjoy for my efforts.