BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day 53 - CERF Exam

New sound for the day - thunder.
New texture for the day - pea size hail.

How to change/clean a whelping condo: 1) undo the 16' X-pen so it can be quickly removed; 2) open gate on X-pen and rush all dogs and pups outside before they get distracted inside; 3) quickly put up X-pen outside 4); round up wayward pups (they are now comfortable running in six directions over about a 4 acre area) and put them into outside X-pen; 5) bring large garbage can into living room and throw soiled, shredded newspapers into garbage bag; 6) remove the two layers of linens that was under paper; 7) shake them out outside then throw them into the washer; 8) wash and sanitise tarp that was under linens 9) wash paw prints off whelping box; 10) put down new layers of linens then newspapers; 11) take out garbage can: 12) let puppies out of X-pen and rush it back inside to surround the whelping condo; 13) round up yard-smart pups and herd/carry them to the whelping condo. Repeat at least 3 times a day.
step 12
My plan this morning was to complete the cleaning of the whelping condo about the time I had to get the pups into the van to go to their eye certification exam. I was at step 5 when out of no where came a black cloud, thunder and hail. I did not need to round up the pups this trip. As soon as I opened the X-pen door they dashed for the back door and into the house. I had no way to contain them inside. McKenzie entertained them with a game of tug while I quickly completed the cleaning and remaking of the whelping box area. Unfortunately, they had not been outside long enough to play, pee or poop. Let's just say they were not just full of energy. After getting them back into their clean home, I got to scout our unwanted deposits as I picked up slippers, books and magazines that had been enlisted as chew toys.

Mr Nome checking out Mushing Magazine

clean digs

The CERF (eye) exam went well. I had taken two crates to transport and confine them in while their eyes dilated. I could not get any pictures because the exam room was dark and I did not want to flash sensitive eyes.

When we got home, they stayed in the van while I changed/cleaned the whelping condo. As I type, the myopic pups are wresting away down stairs.