BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Homemade Bread

Dave is on a very restrictive low salt/low sugar diet. Last week I decided to bake bread. Our search for low salt bread proved futile. I have not used my bread maker in a number of years so it took a bit of cabinet searching to even find it. My first loaf was a basic white bread made without salt and only enough sugar to activate the yeast. I am a lover of all things (non-rye) bread but this bland loaf was not worth the calories. Even the dogs thought so. While we slept, they snatched the loaf off the counter and left a good 3" uneaten - which was immediately thrown into the composter when discovered in the morning.

Last night I again tried to make bread and after an exhaustive search found a recipe that just might have flavor if the salt was left out. I put all the room temperature ingredients and perfectly warmed milk into the bread maker. Something was strange when I turned it on. The noise was there but nothing was moving about. That was when it dawned on me that I must have also thrown the mixing blade into the compost bin. It has been so long since we last had bread maker bread that I completely spaced that the blade gets cooked into the loaf and must be removed. A precursory search of the composter was hopeless. In an effort to put up salt and sugar free fruits and vegtables and because the garden is finally producing, I have been canning tomatoes, apples and green beans fast and furious recently. There was no sign of bread under several inches of processing waste.

I must not be the first to make this mistake. There are about 50 blades for my bread maker to be had on E-bay.