BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mountain Adventures

Today the dogs and I made another attempt at the annual, fall, mountain retreat. Since the lakes I wanted to camp at are still closed to all but fire crews and it is hunting season, I decided to go only for a day. (I did regret not throwing in my backpacking gear as soon as the mountains were in sight).

The dogs became restless as we climbed Dead Horse Grade - a very steep and windy stretch over the old McKenzie pass. I pulled off onto an old, partially overgrown, logging road which ended at a beautiful stream. What was to be a potty stop, turned into a half hour of running over log bridges and splashing in the water to the delight of both the dogs and myself.
The wet dogs and I loaded back up and headed toward my goal of finding Huckleberry and Camper lakes. I had never been to either one. My map from the 1950's shows a road into Huckleberry Lake campground. My more recent map shows only a trail into an unnamed lake. Both started at the same place.

The dogs too were convinced this was the trail head since obviously someone had been here before.We hiked up and over a ridge. Only to come out at the wrong lake.
Willy, forgetting he had a pack on, rolled to dry off after his swim.

This lake had a large hunter's camp. After a quick swim, it was back to the van for another search. You would think it would be easy to find the trail head since it once was a road but the Forest Service and Ma Nature have wiped it out. Using the lava field as one border, I drove to the closest pullout. We climbed down the lava bank and started hiking. Soon we were on the trail.
"are you sure there is a trail here?"

The trail was very old. Willy and McKenzie rushing down to the lake. All that is left of Huckleberry campground:

The lake was nice but did not have the view I was expecting.
The first lake down and only a mile back to the van.
To the right of the tree you can barely see the top of Mt. Washington. To the left is Belnap Crater, source of this lava flow.
McKenzie, Willy and Cedar finally sufficiently tired enough to sit still for a shot.
Wet packs at the trial's end.
Each dog carried a quart of water, bowl, flexie and treats.

Tomorrow the saga of the search for Camper lake.