BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Birthday Girl McKenzie is 10

CH "PR" Frontier Raindancer McKenzie, CGC, HIT, NJP, NAP - the tongue with a Chinook dog attached - has given us so much since she was whelped 10 years ago.


4/29/2002 - first birthday partyToday I tried to replicate her "party pooch pose".

that's the right side

McKenzie actually "flunked" her CGC (Canine Good Citizen) exam not once but twice because she could not hold back from kissing the judges. McKenzie produced 14 Chinooks in two litters. I have lost track of all her grandpups. She was an extraordinary mother and refused to wean her pups. She even tried to nurse and take over the care of Cedar's pups. McKenzie has been my companion on mountain back pack trips and wilderness adventures. Poor girl got to be the one I learned to do clicker training, confirmation showing, tracking, competition obedience and agility with. In classes, she did suffer a bit because as I made (still make) mistakes, she is sure she has caused my error and always wants to comfort me even though it is me sending her over the wrong obstacle. At all times, she is keenly sensitive to my mood and frustration. Skijoring was a huge misadventure. On one of our first trips, she fell through the snow into a creek below. I couldn't stop so skied right over her. She endured Mushing Boot Camp and being hooked with a team that later ran the Iditarod. She has yet to allow me to put her in the dog sled bag, but has let it be known that she prefers running along side to pulling in harness. McKenzie is almost frighteningly intelligent. Opening doors and scaling the 8' kennel wall was no problem by 7 months old. She has earned titles in hearding and agility. She has all the skills and is more than ready for her CD title (competition obedience) but we just never seem to be around for the trials. She earned Best of Breed at her very first confirmation show - which also happened to be the National Chinook Specialty. She went on to earn her champion title and was only one win away from her grand-championship when I had her spayed.McKenzie has relinquished her spot in our bed but still sleeps on her pillow within reach of my nighttime ear scritches. She is my constant companion. Getting her agility titles was especially difficult because she did not want to leave my side and during many trials, though she ran clean, I could not run the course fast enough to qualify.

"enough mom! Where's my birthday bone?"psst!
Both of us are a little greyer and heavier than we were 10 years ago but she has kept me young. Happy Birthday McKenzie.