BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Summertime and Naked Tomatoes

It's finally summer! Today was the 6th in a row day over 90 degrees. Maybe not spectacular for the rest of the nation but our summer has hovered in the 60's. The dogs and I went for our first pond swim together yesterday. No pictures - I have gone through too many cameras (4) while around water.
Today I decided that I would help Ma Nature ripen the tomatoes by cutting away all flowers and unnecessary foliage. My thought (no science behind this) is that the plants will put all the reserves that were going into the jungle of leaves into the green tomatoes. A little fresh air and direct sun couldn't hurt either. Do tomatoes sunburn? Just maybe that is really why they turn red and mine are still green. They have had so little warm sol this summer.

there are tomatoes in there just waiting to ripennope - still too much foliageWell maybe I got a little carried away, but when they do ripen, they will easy to find and pick. The greens from just 9 plants. I have 10 more to go.today's harvestPictures I did not get: the huge bag of zucchini I snuck into Dave's car for him to take to work; the four pints of green beans (under the tomatoes) I put up; the 5 racks of tomatoes currently drying in the food dryer; and the nice glass of wine I am finally relaxing with.