BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Monday, September 5, 2011

We Labored for Larbor Day

For Dave's birthday I got myself a gas fire table. (I got him the Uof O letterman's jacket I earned and he coveted.) I have really wanted a fire table for years but they are expensive and not really something on Dave's capital budget (or want) list. Recently, I actually gathered the materials and have been planning how to make a funky one out of re-claimed redwood from the old yacht club docks. A trip to the high end patio furniture summer sale relieved me of the construction task (disaster). Though it is a bit fancy for our place, the price was right.
I did almost catch my hair on fire the first time I lit the fire table. The ignition switch is now up wind of the prevailing evening winds. Thursday, I made a "do before winter" list of chores to get done. We spent the weekend checking off items on the list and now we are exhausted.
Some of the things we accomplished: my dog rig now has breaks that work and a basket; we dug a 12" deep x 300' long ditch to hopefully decrease the standing water in the garden (Dave with backhoe -me with shovel); about 1/4 mile of our drive has been weed-eated by Dave; the tractor runs again; I canned 60 lbs of peaches (yum!) and picked 2 gallons of blueberries; the dogs got pedicures; the entire lawn is mowed; the sprinkler system for the gardens is almost working; we even threw in a trip to Costco and the local True Value. The to-do list is still long but some of the biggies are now behind us - and I have breaks!
Drinking a glass of fine wine while sitting by my new fire table was the prefect way to relax after three days of hard work.