BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

AARG Cameras

Today Team Nookies went for what was to be another counter run. Sunshine. 30 degrees. The trail was a tough with 6" new, sticky snow. Fortunately snowmobiles condensed it a bit for us. For a run to count toward a title, I need pictures of the start, turn around point and end. Since I am alone, I also need some landmarks to demonstrate distance. My new camera is supposed to give me GPS coordinates of each picture and a distance log of where I went. In the ideal world, I would be able to stop, take off gloves, go through the menus for the correct settings, calibrate the compass and shoot. I must have missed a set-up step at the beginning of the trip. I did not get a GPS reading until this point a good 2.5 miles from the van.
The distance between the last picture and this one was 3.1km. These two pictures were 5.3 km apart.Last week I determined by comparing this cut bank with Google earth, that this point was 4.1 miles and an elevation gain of 763'. The dogs were still going strong so I decided to take them another 1/2 mile+. We successfully negotiated a turn without tangled dogs, me being drug or even falling off the sled. I went to take a picture and all I got was a grey screen. I could not even turn the camera off to re-boot it. As we flew back down the road, I decided to shoot random shots for GPS and see if I could get a scenic picture of the dogs running along the tree lined road framing Diamond Peak. I figured that even if the camera just took grey, it would at least save my GPS points. Wrong. So no tangle free turn-around or ending pictures. AARG! Oh well, it was a beautiful day to be on the trail and the downhill ride back to the van was exhilarating.