BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

And I Thought Yesterday Was Cold

Do not even think about sleeping in when you have Chinooks and there is snow on the ground. They won't let you. I awoke to 4 Chinooks giving kisses and lunching themselves off my body onto each other. With 10" of the white stuff I knew what they were trying to tell me: "SNOW let's go!" Heavy, wet snow around here eventually means no power. No power-no water. Dogs had to wait to frolic until I took a shower, put on my ski clothes and made coffee. Priorities after all. Normally I can walk under these branches with my arms up stretched to touch them.The dogs had a blast playing Chinook tag while I cleared the snow off the kennel roof and a path to get firewood. Come 10 am and we were without power. I did not worry because the power company had robo-called to say they were going to cut power between 1200 - 1500. I just thought they had started early. The outside opening (see yesterday with John climbing out) to all heat duct vents was only covered with a piece of partially blown away cardboard. Cold air again had direct access to all ceiling vents. Without electricity the air circulator and ceiling fans were not on. The wood stove fire could barely keep up with drying my numerous wet gloves, boots and hats. No problem. I kept warm shoveling and throwing snow balls for the dogs to catch.

Last night Dave wondered why we no longer had satellite TV... By noon I figured we had enough snow (over a foot) to go for a sled run to get the paper. It was really tough going. The snow was the consistency of wet cement. We made it past the first and second downed trees by running over branches and through the deep ditches I had dug a few weeks before when the road washed out. Somehow I actually managed to stay on the sled. Then we came to a large Doug fir that had fallen from the high side of the road. Willy first aimed to take us under the butt end, 3' off the ground but nicely turned on command to go around the top. That is when I saw the downed power line tangled in the tree branches inches from them. I braked the sled and ran forward to make sure they turned around away from it. I must have frightened them. Once around they shot off back down hill. Unfortunately I had the run-away strap on my wrist...
Big OuchThe dogs got their end-of-run treat. I called the power company and headed back out with my chainsaw and loppers to clear the trees. My camera battery died so I did not get to document the sled tracks going through the ditch, over alder and cedar tree branches and aiming under a fully branched, large, tree tangled with our powerline. Too cold indoors. Once the road was cleared it was time to let the dogs out to play while I shoveled the foot of heavy snow off the 20'x50' flat roof.My heroes, the power company team. Power was restored at 1620. Still snowing as I type. Wonder what adventures tomorrow will bring. I do know that it will include shoveling out the hot tub. I ache.