BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Monday, December 21, 2015

Aloha, Happy 2nd Birthday and Merry Christmas from Alaka'i

I received a late birthday/early Christmas post from BrownStone Cascade Mt. Shasta, aka Alaka'i.
Hi Kay Lee,
 
Ka’i and I still go out to monitor trails regularly in the nearby Palos Verdes preserve, and try to make it up to the mountains when we have a free weekend. Ka’i is growing more and more comfortable running out in front of the bicycle so we are getting closer to having him pull it. He seems to have a fear of large tires, and has been suspicious of them ever since he was very little. We are making progress though. At 2.5 years, he is still just as energetic and anxious as ever. 
We’ve taken a break from obedience courses, but boy do we need to start back up. I’ve come to accept his over-the-top excitement in greeting people as part of his personality. However, I’d really like to work towards the day we can greet someone without fear of him knocking them over/out with his airplane propeller tail and excited head butting. Ah, yes, I taught Alaka’i to head butt. At first it was an adorable “come give mom a hug” trick where he would run over and push his head against my chest. Now, well, I have created a 70-lb whip-tailed, kissing billy goat-dog. Whoops. He is incredibly smart though and as I mentioned before, always manages to turn the tricks I’ve taught him to his own advantage. For one of his new tricks, I call out “Not it!” and he will put his paw on his nose as I put my finger on my nose. So, these days when asked to do an involved task such as “get the ball”, he will respond by trying to do the easier trick of putting his paw on his nose as if to say “get the ball? Not it!”  He is rarely vocal, but is always sure to let me know how displeased he is to have to get his own leash. To this day he still grunts and groans the entire time he drags it to me.
I’ve also attached some pictures of our last camping trips to Big Sur and to Palomar Mountain where we had a miraculous 6-8” of snow. Ka’i was as happy as I’ve ever seen him. 
He really loves to dig in snow/sand and plays some sort of head burying game with Justin.They’re a funny pair. 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family Kay Lee!

Aloha,

Nari, Justin, and Alaka’i