BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Let the Season Begin - Wreath Making

I love to make wreaths out of grapevines from my fall pruning.  I decorated the first wreath of the season with the dried-grass, table bouquets from Dave's birthday party. I was pleased how it turned out so hung the 3 1/2 foot wreath on the wall for November.
The real fun of the wreath making season begins with going into the woods to gather the greens that turn the grapevine circles into Holiday wreaths. Per tradition, Kerstin, Lupin and the girls, clippers in hand, went with me.
The girls are now old enough to make their own wreaths. 
The dogs were really interested in Anna's snack.
This summer's logging and thinning made greens difficult to come by. All of the little trees were thinned out and the big machines knocked off the lower branches. Another problem was the drought. The boughs were very dry. My usual production of full wreaths became more like decorative, circle swags.
The finished wreaths were just to dry to keep inside so the kennel wall was put to use holding the finished products.
All but two of the wreaths were given as gifts. The last two, much smaller than I ever make them, became a kennel wreath complete with holiday dog booties (which took Trask all of a few seconds to pull off while I put the camera away)... 
and the house wreath. (Usually this wreath rests on the top of the stone wall when hung from the hook.)
I may not have had greens, but thanks to my poor vineyard upkeep, I had an abundance of grapevines. I saw these trees in a high-end catalog for $30 each. My attempts at duplication are a bit more whimsical - but free. 
 The trees, along with my dried grasses wreath, will grace the mudroom during the holiday season.