BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Rose City Classic

My picture programs have been giving me fits all week. I can finally download pictures. However, I still can't edit them.

Thursday I loaded up the motorhome and headed for Portland. My home for a couple of days was a very crowded parking lot, full of other motorhomes, each containing lots of dogs. We were located between the PDX runways and I-5 freeway. Even though pouring rain drowned out some of the noise, sleep was not on the agenda. The occasion was the AKC Rose City Classic. Over 5000 dogs were entered in the four day event. Add owners, handlers, judges, vendors and spectators and you have an amazing spectacle. And lots of treats as Willy found out. No one was immune to his Silly Willy, helicopter ears, doe-eyed pose.

Willy and I were there on behalf of the Chinook breed. (McKenzie, Cedar and Rocsha went with me last year). The breed is about to be AKC recognised. Chinooks participated in confirmation; our own Meet the Breed booth; the Foundation Stock Meet the Breed booth; the AKC Meet the Breed booth and put on a judge's education about the Chinook breed to about 50 judges from all over the U.S.
BrownStone Iditarod Trail Song - Koyuk -
took Best of Breed
handsome boy, Koyuk at 10 monthsCarie negotiates the breed ring area with a tangle of Chinooks Carie, Lonna and me with our Chinooks in the
"Meet the Breed" boothFriday, 13 Chinooks negotiated the grooming buildingSusan (McKenzie's breeder), with three of her dogs, listened to the Judge's Ed presentationAfter the presentation, the judges got hands-on time with each of our Chinooks
I did not stay for the entire event. The ski slopes and mushing trails awaited me.