BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Freezing Rain then Sun

I could not post yesterday because we lost power at about noon (until 6 this morning). The culprit: 1" freezing rain on top of 7" heavy snow. I did go outside to survey the damage, clean the kennel and let the dogs run around a bit. It was 26 degrees, raining hard and the sky dark.
This maple lost some huge branches
 Hot tub towel holder. By the end of the day the icicles were several inches long.
Foot long curtain of snow from the roof. It grew to a couple of feet before crashing down.
I put Trask in his new "visibility" coat. I did not want to play "hide'n'seek-keep-away" in these conditions. My thought was that at least I could keep track of where he had gone. Not to worry. All of the dogs wanted in as soon as the kennel was cleaned.
The ice coated branch in front of McKenzie is normally 6' off the ground.
I did not go sledding. The breakable crust was just too dangerous for the dogs.
The sun came out this morning as we worked on solving the problem of frozen water pipes. I could not take the sled for a spin because vehicle traffic had rutted the road down to gravel but the dogs did take full advantage of sun and snow.
Trask on the road
 Chinook tag
 "Sorry mom"
 McKenzie (the pond is still frozen)
 Snow is the perfect backdrop for Chinooks.
 "I said I'm sorry mom"
 Sweet Cedar
 "Really, I'm really sorry mom but your ear does look kind of funny inside out."
My nieces have always made horrible faces when posed for group shots. Today my Nooks did the same only not just with their faces.
 Trask's game of hide'n'seek-keep-away begins.