BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Monday, March 4, 2019

Snowpocolypse Saturday - Monday

What a week. We lost power, landline, water and internet on Saturday night after the wet snow and winds dropped a tree on a neighbor's house, taking the powerline with it. 
Sunday morning 2/24/2019
"Hey Mom it's snowing!" 
 We awoke to about 3" of snow. 
 "Cool Huh?"
This week might actually have been fun except for a miserable chest cold that left me weak and with little energy - which is a real bummer because I would have preferred to have more fun. I did treat myself though. Friday I had bought OJ and Yukon Jack for my cold. There is nothing like drinking OJ/Yukon Jack slushys after a day of shoveling, while leaning back on a heating pad plugged into a generator and watching it snow! 
Sunday Evening. 
Kennel roof is almost cleared of snow waiting for a dump from the roof above.

 "Snow Dogs" taking my ski trail.
 Side yard.
 Pond.
"Snow Dogs" taking the easy path around the house.
It continued to snow hard Sunday and by Monday morning I had about 3' of very heavy snow. So heavy neither the quad or big truck in 4WD/low could make it out of the garage. Apparently the cell towers were also without electricity so along with no internet, there was no cell service. I had to laugh. Dave, king of radio communications, who left me with over 200 radios, was not here to coordinate the neighborhood efforts to help each other or give me a way to communicate short of walking out 1/2 mile. He set up the neighborhood watch and emergency response groups and would have loved the coordination task. Guess I am going to have to learn CB and Ham.
Post holing was not an easy option. I tried to ski but each step went down to crotch level. The bindings on my snow shoes had disintegrated into tiny plastic bits. And worst of all, the dogs couldn't pull the dog sled because it too sunk deeply into the heavy snow. 
"We'll help you ski."   
 "Will you continue to break trail for us?" 
 Chinook tag.


Kennel roof Monday morning. I shoveled the snow off the roof every day to prevent it from collapsing.

Snow already above the bottom of the window and a very busy bird feeder.
 Back yard.
Without electricity or heat, the bed was a popular place.
31" on top of hot tub Monday morning.
Upper roof snow threatening the kennel roof.
 Back yard.
Monday afternoon, the Lind family skied in with dad John breaking trail. They brought me more OJ, bread, and cheese plus cocoa I could share with guests. By that time my cold had progressed to filling my lungs. Earlier it had taken all my strength to haul 10 gallons of gas from the fuel house to the back of the house so I could run the generator to re-cool the refrigerator and freezer and recharge my cell phone. I was attempting to fashion snowshoe bindings out of dog collars when the Linds showed up.
By Monday evening I was settled into to long term "snow camping" with OJ slushy in hand, fire in the wood stove, belly full of stir fry, pots of snow melting, gloves and hats drying and dogs lying at my feet in candle glow.