BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pond Run

To get the dogs in shape and the trails cleared of blown down trees, I have been taking the dogs for a 1 1/2 to 2 mile run (as the quad drives, they have greatly add to the distance chasing deer and squirrels) every other day. Today I decided they were ready to go all the way to the back pond, about 2 miles each way. I wanted to clear the trails on that side of the ridge. It was a beautiful morning. We were above the fog. The temperature was a frosty 34 degrees.
When we crested the ridge, the dogs took off after a small herd of deer.  Cedar eventually came to me but the other two continued in their pursuit. No amount of calling or whistling brought them back.
I took Cedar on down to the pond to let her cool off...
and get a drink.
The other two had taken off downhill so I expected them to cut across country and meet us at the pond. Koyuk had been there before. I figured she could find it again. I let Cedar rest and called for about 15 minutes then decided to go back up to the ridge top where we had lost them. I was really concerned that Trask had been hurt. He has never run this far before.
Wayward Trask and Koyuk near the ridge top.
 Back on the trail again.
 Cedar and Koyuk
Trask
We were almost home when they spotted another group of deer to chase.
I parked the quad and walked back to direct the dogs around the blackberry field they found themselves trapped in.
Tired dogs on the way home.
The trails are now clear and the dogs are crashed - even McKenzie who stayed behind to watch the house. I do need to work more on recall.