BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Woods Are Lovely, Dark and Deep...

Between rain showers - yes rain - the dogs and I went out to clear another trail. On the way I couldn't resist seeing if I could blaze a new trail to the top of the ridge. I don't know who had more fun jumping limbs and small logs, the dogs or me on the quad. The area had been thinned three years ago. The mechanical logger stripped trees of limbs prior to cutting them down leaving the understory 4' deep in tangled branches. After three Oregon winters everything is rotting. A stand thinned to trees 15' apart makes for wide avenues to forge a trail.
The top of the ridge has some majestic old growth trees.
 We then headed down the familiar trail.
So familiar that the dogs took off on their own exploration.
While calling and waiting for the wayward dogs to return, I had time to remove the new and downed trees on the old, overgrown trail. I have hopes this less steep trail will allow me longer runs with Ferrari the dog-rig.
Finally the worn-out dogs returned...
and we made our way home before the next shower.
Before making this post, I ordered bright, reflective coats for the dogs. In the future, the lovely, dark and deep woods will no longer hide the wayward. silent running, tawny Chinooks.