BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Over the Hill and Through the Woods

Since Dave's death, exercise has been limited to necessary actions. The dogs and I are getting more and more out of shape as time goes by. A break in the weather meant time for a run to the back pond.
The run starts with going up and over a small hill then a gee turn up a very steep trail I cut last year. I need to put my ATV into 4WD and the lowest gear to make it up to the top of the ridge.
The dogs, even 12 year old Cedar, ran full speed all the way...
 and were given a rest at the top.
From there, we traverse the ridge top and head down the south, sunny side, road to the pond.
My primary concern with taking the dogs on this run is encountering a deer kill defended by a cougar or bear. The property is an island refuge for large and small game. The fence line is surrounded by clear cut property and houses on all sides. Not that long ago, seeing a cougar, bobcat, coyote or bear was a very rare, wondrous sight. Now these animals have become nuisance pests, with daily raids on garbage cans and bird feeders. 
Perhaps the dogs are admiring the ground cover.
Not! They have found a deer carcass. I am immediately on high alert, scanning the brush and tree tops.
I rush the dogs away from the carcass.
Trask with his prize leer leg.
When we got to the pond, Trask would not relinquish hold of the stinky leg. Only Cedar and Koyuk took the opportunity to drink, swim and cool off. We had gone over 2 miles on very steep trails by this point.
Twelve year old Cedar, fit and regal as ever.
Wanting to cool off Trask, I took a 1/2 mile detour, below the pond and through the oak savannah, which is currently full of creeks, pools and marshland.
 We circled back to the pond where Trask relinquished the leg in favor of a drink and swim.
I grabbed the leg and threw it into the largest patch of blackberries I could find much to Koyuk's dismay.
Three dogs in search of another carcass treat. (There is a reason they wear visibility vests.)
Cedar was first to find this deer. She tore off, full speed back up the sunny side pond road.
Followed by Koyuk with a leg...
and Trask with his leg.
 A rest at the top of the ridge allowed for a feast...
while I hiked around admiring the north side woods.
Cedar still had her deer leg as she came down the steep ridge trail. Opportunistic Trask headed back up to check if she would like to share her bounty.
Nope!
At this point, we are almost back to the house. We had made it past the predictors now the last thing I wanted was a stinky deer leg going into the house, through the dog door, and being devoured on my bed. I took the leg; found a huge blackberry patch; and tossed it into the middle. I HATE the fact that invasive blackberries now cover the forest floor. In many places they blanket acres and pile over 6' high. The only advantages I see with them is that they do feed the birds and small game and are a great place to toss unwanted carcass parts.
The dogs were hot and covered with mud by the time we returned to the house. Coaxing them into cleansing swim was a no brainer. I have found it is much easier to dry off a soaking wet dog than give a muddy one a bath.
After their final cleaning in the mudroom, the rest of the afternoon was spent taking off pictures while the dogs crashed in the office.


Starting as a mere toddler, I have spent my life wandering in the woods and never been afraid. (Except for men with guns and grizzly bears.) Seeing animals has been a privilege. All have always preferred to head the other way and disappear. The over-population of large predictors on the property is troubling. I do not expect them to attack but I do expect them to defend. In the past, except in the summer heat, I have taken the dogs on this 5+ mile run 3-4 times a week. Their breed is meant to run. They love to be with me as I explore. I am afraid I will now need to use the ATV on our excursions so I can keep closer tabs on the dog's whereabouts and for a quick get away should we encounter predators unwilling to relinquish their kills.