BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Sunday, January 8, 2023

Garibaldi Glacier

After touring the Agostini fiord we traveled up the Garibaldi Fiord to the Garibaldi Glacier - listed as the "most beautiful glacier in Chile". For me, the fiord and glacier were the highlights of my Patagonia adventure. I took hundreds of pictures figuring I could weed then down later. It was tough.

Garibaldi Fiord

View from my deck
We had zig-zagged through channels and fiords for days and by now I was totally lost (and still am) as to where exactly we had traveled in Tierra del Fuego. In an effort to be able to document the trip, it dawned on me that I could take a picture of the "ships location" map, in my cabin, showing our current location.  (CJ tried to help me my positioning Waldo with my binoculars looking out the cabin windows.)




Our first glimpse of the Garibaldi Glacier





The glacier calving.
This photo was chosen as the best at the photographers critique. 
Zodiacs!
Our lifeguards
We got to paddle around for a couple of hours.
We had different color of water according to how close we were from the glacier.  Magellan found the passage by testing the salinity of the water when he approached a new channel. I tried this out by dipping my fingers into the water as we got nearer to and further from the glacier. I "cleansed" my palette by sucking on ice between tastings. 

I lucked out with a kayak partner. We both knew how to paddle and had the same enthusiasm for exploring - yes we did try to go up the river. Only then did the zodiac drivers tell us it was off limits. Guess they had figured that no one would try.