BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Thursday, January 5, 2023

The National Geographic Resolution

I have skipped ahead and not mentioned the ship or our daily agenda. I found her quite fancy and not as cosy-primitive as the Nat Geo Explorer, but her speed, stability and maneuverability were amazing. I would not have wanted to cross the Drake Passage or traversed several other seas we traveled in any other boat. 

My cabin is 3rd back from the white bump-out

Our Capitan had a controlling hand in the design and manufacture of the Resolution and her Sistership the Endeavor. This was a maiden voyage and after the 2 yr, covid dry-dock, he was anxious to put her through the paces. 

My cabin had a deck which I took full advantage of. Once we crossed the Drake, the weather was sunny and warm. I lived in my "Penguin Christmas" tees and rarely needed a coat. I had the sliding door open much of the time. 

Waldo and I enjoying a Glacier Margarita on my deck

My deck also had a hammock. On our first day re-crossing the Drake, when she came out to take my it down for the rough passage to come, CJ caught me in my hammock. It was cold enough for a coat, hat and light blanket; the table and chairs were strapped down and; I was getting splashed but hey, I was rocking in the Drake Passage. She took my picture and then we took the hammock down.

My daily schedule started with a guitar solo and inspirational poem followed by yoga and a smoothy.
While the ship was very stable, balance poses were limited
Then breakfast with my omelet made to order and more fruits, vegs, meats, juices, pastry choices...than I could ever imagine to order. While eating CJ cleaned and made my cabin. She delighted in placing my stuffed penguin, I named Waldo, in various poses and hiding places. Twice I had to give up trying to find him.



After breakfast we had an adventure which included zodiacs, hiking and/or kayaking.

Lunch was a sit-down menu meal, always starting with a soup to die for, fresh baked roll and included salad and main. While we ate, the skip moved to another location for another off ship adventure.

1600 afternoon tea was served for those on the first zodiac rotation. "tea" included fancy finger sandwiches and a mass assortment of cookies and was served in the lounge or library.

1800 we met in the Ice Lounge for cocktails and a daily recap given by the Nat Geo scientists. Roger the head bar tender, remembered me and after day 1.  A Glacier Margarita, with a large glass of ice water on the side, was made for me as I entered the lounge. He also knew that other times I preferred Pino Gris. I never got a chance to ask.  

Our location, thus adventures, were pretty unscheduled. The Captain and Expedition Director did their best to find the good weather and scenic landing locations - even if it meant crossing from West Antarctica to East to avoid wind and rain. I do not have the official printout but, I understand that we went to 30 new, uncharted by a cruise ship, locations. 

The ship was so stable, I never once got sea sick or felt even queasy- which always happens in the back seat of a car. I do admit that before the first night on our northward passage across the Drake, I put on a scope. patch as recommended for all passengers and crew. We traversed the legendary seas in a gale and in style with waves hitting the bridge and propellers out of the water on swells. I along with most passengers, ate meals and giggled our weaving way throughout the ship. 

Here is what the PR guys say about the Resolution:

  • A fully-stabilized PC5 Category A ice class passenger vessel
  • Omni-directional WESMAR HD860 sonar for scanning the sea floor in order to navigate poorly-charted waters
  • Patented X-Bow design for smoothest, most comfortable ride
  • Advanced sustainability engineering: larger fuel tanks, a more fuel-efficient engine with cleanest exhaust gases, plus large water tanks make National Geographic Resolution more ecofriendly and able to range far beyond ordinary limits
  • Optimal viewing and photography opportunities from unprecedented forward and down-the-sides sightlines, plus multiple observation decks and new observation wings
  • Heated outdoor dining, observation and rejuvenation areas offer innovative opportunities to stay comfortably connected to the stellar outdoors and wildlife sighting opportunities
  • A suite of expeditions tools: Fleets of Zodiacs, kayaks, cross-country skis for early season voyages, an ROV, hydrophones, video microscope, underwater video technology and more
  • Hyper efficient Zodiac loading for “getting out there” more swiftly and safely
  • Designed and built by the Norwegian ship builders Ulstein Group, this ship is leading a new age of polar travel focused on sustainability, efficiency, safety and stability. The Ulstein’s innovative, signature bow—the X-BOW®—creates a vessel with increased agility, security, performance and convenience and incorporates conservation-minded solutions to reduce the ship’s environmental impact.

    This hull design also allows for excellent forward and downward viewing from numerous observation decks, including observation wings that extend out from the ship’s sides. Her larger volume displacement in the front of the ship, upturned bow and slender hull design offer higher fuel efficiency, improved performance in waves, increased stability in rough waters, softer entry into waves, reduced acceleration levels, less spray, less slamming and bow impact, and lower vibration. Her zero-steam stabilizers increase stability while anchored/not moving, and her expanded fuel and water tanks allow for longer expeditions to explore farther.

    With a top speed of 16.5 knots, the Resolution is fast. Most expedition ships boast a top speed of 12-15 knots. Furthermore, traditionally bowed ships must slow down in rough seas to avoid slamming the bow against waves. All of this translates into faster crossings and more time exploring.

    The Resolution boasts Azipod propulsion, where the motor is housed in a pod outside the hull and can rotate 360 degrees. This revolutionary design increases efficiency and maneuverability, particularly in ice-infested waters.

    The propulsion system also allows the Resolution to hover in place for Zodiac operations, kayaking or watching wildlife. This dynamic position system, or anchorless anchoring, means the ship can remain close to shore resulting in more efficient shore landings.