BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Day 50 Chinook Centennial Litter Pup-date

Except for some forays of employment, since a few months of age, I have been an Oregonian. A wet-back where moss grows on your shoulders if you don't keep moving enough. The mascot for my Alma-mater (x3) is a Duck. This hot, dry. smokey environment is totally unsettling - and worrisome. I have been asked and yes I have a "go plan" for my family and the puppies in case of a wildfire. Until then, just keeping everyone cool and with minimal exposure to smoke has taken over my life.
Late this morning, the air cleared enough to take the pups out for breakfast and for me to do some pup-condo modifications.
The start of crate training - or a huge chew toy.
 Puppies playing while they had the opportunity to be outside. Treadwell
In my wildest dreams, I did not expect my sensory cube to be such a hit.
Everyone gets into the pulling action, even Koyuk
Back inside after the brief play time. It took less time to pull the blanket out of the crate than it did to gather up the next two pups.
The air cleared off enough to bring the hungry pups out for dinner.
They cleaned every kibble bit before Koyuk finished her dinner and could get outside.
Cooler (80's) clearer air (relative - my throat and eyes are dealing with it) meant more play time.
Now that they are weaned, Koyuk is having a blast playing with the puppies.
She was never one for toys but seems to delight showing them how to tug and play together.
Those not playing with Koyuk have their own game going with my camera strap whenever it is within reach.
 Mom sets the rules.
For the past three days Byrd has been trying his best to be my pup. He is forever trying to get into my lap where he promptly falls asleep. How do you resist those eyes?
When not on my lap he is all curiosity.
Swan no longer has a nose.
Treadwell watching the chaos from afar.
 Arthur
Swan doesn't have many more days...
 until then, she is quite an attraction
The pups have increased the depth of a hole the Cascade Peaks litter created three years ago. It is a favorite congregating place. My older dogs eat the dirt too. Must be something about the chemical composition they like or crave. Or maybe it is just a fun way to create a sibling trap.
 Treadwell was located by Wind.
Like Treadwell, Wind chose a private place to sleep.
The puppies have discovered the fun of tunnels.
They are getting so big, they really have to work to get through them, especially when someone else is coming the other way.
I tried to get a picture of a Dachnook but Washington backed out.
Handsome Trask surveying his 1/2 brothers and sister during tunnel play.
Trask letting me that it was time to go. Both Koyuk and Cedar were alerting to a noise in the woods. They did stay guard over the Pup-corral until I had all the pups safely inside.
Along with the family of Red Tailed Hawks, we have bears with cubs and cougar with kits seen during daylight within 1 mile of our place. If it's not the heat and smoke threatening the health of the pups, they would make a tasty meal during these dry, lean times before hibernation. These worries do seam to melt away during the joy of watching the puppies grow, learn, explore and play.