BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Monday, August 2, 2010

What is the Tie That Binds Us?


Camp Fire USA celebrated it's 100th birthday on Saturday. It saddens me that so few kids are participating in youth organizations today. Be it Camp Fire, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts or 4H - all are suffering from declining support and enrollment. Such a loss. My involvement in Camp Fire and time spent at Camp Onahlee was instrumental in forming the person I am today. I live by law of Camp Fire (except I do not worship God but instead value all creation around me.)
The Camp Fire members in this picture represent all decades from the 1940's to the young boy of today. We are wearing our ceremonial attire. I am proud to have been part of this small celebration gathering (back row R).Camp Onahlee - hallowed ground for me. I have not returned in 42 years yet still think of my time spent there every time I pause to look at Nature's wonders. I sing the Camp Fire songs as I walk in the wilderness. I was a Blue Bird in Kakota cabins: a Camp Fire Girl in Latani A-frames; grown up teen in Odokwa tee-pees; CIT in Sunny lodge and counselor in my beloved Latani. My choice of my first college degree, BS Outdoor Education, was swayed by Camp Fire and Onahlee. Little did I know my education would lead to other paths and expeditions that were firsts for a woman.

After attending the 75th Camp Fire Birthday celebration, I felt it was my time to give back. I started a Camp Fire group. I have been a leader for 25 years. I can only hope that I have passed on the values and joy of the Camp Fire Law.

I grieve the loss of Camp Onahlee. It is to be closed this year. Onahlee will always be a part of me. My grief is for those that will never know or experience Onahlee. I also cherish the opportunity to celebrate Camp Fire's 100th birthday at the place I love with others that share and understand this love.

What is the tie that binds us friend of the long, long years? Just this: we have shared the weather; we have slumbered side by side; and friends that have camped together will never again divide. ~ Camp Fire Prayer.