BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Day 16 Centennial litter

Today the record breaking heat and forest fire smoke were worse. I am so glad the little ones are still satisfied within the confines of the whelping box.
The primo first picture of the morning was missed. I started laughing when I saw three pups asleep in Koyuk's deep-dish, pie-plate that I use as her food bowl. Before I could turn on the camera, Koyuk was in the whelping box to see what was amiss. So I took the camera upstairs for a sunrise shot instead. Smoke does make for beautiful, if hazy sunrises.
The pups were oblivious to the thick outside air.
Koyuk herself just in from swimming in the pond, is giving Treadwell a cooling bath. As soon as the whelping box linens were changed, they were again muddy from her numerous trips to the pond.
A rush-hour wreck on the Beltline forced 1/2 of Eugene commuters onto the already overcrowded Coburg Road. While basically parked on Coburg road after leaving Costco during a dog food run, I figured I could talk my way out of a ticket if need be for pulling out my phone to take this picture. The radio mentioned the wrecks and resulting traffic-jam standstill but said it was only 101 degrees out - wrong. Glad I had just filled up with gas and could keep the barely cooling AC blasting - and that I didn't have any dogs in the van.
Temptation dilemma - mom's kibble a al'mode or that oh-so-close nipple.
Dinner a al' puppy.
Today was filled with again working on the irrigation system; hours of watering by hand; errands; whelping box laundry; assembling a covered, outside, puppy play area to use when it cools a bit and; another wonderful evening spent savoring puppy breath. I do apologize to everyone waiting a return e-mail from me. The temperature in my office is not much less than outside. Even now it is in the high 90s. I have spent only brief periods up here. But you will be hearing from me - promise.