BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Monday, August 21, 2017

Day 34 Chinook Centennial Eclipse Litter Pup-date

I try to give the puppies every varied experience I can conjure up but a total eclipse trumps. Not that they cared. I was going to try to take them to my sister's house in Salem for the real totality deal but the thought of being stuck for hours with 6 shrieking puppies and one frantic mom dog in the van nixed that idea. We had to settle for 99% totality.
The morning air was smoky from all the forest fires giving the light through the windows a nice amber tint as the pups ate breakfast.
I moved the pups out to the Pup-pen a little early but I wanted an uninterrupted view of the eclipse.
Morning coffee at Pup-den Cafe
The dogs were sure I had something for them on the table. "Just eclipse glasses guys."
The sun was about 1/4 obscured here.
 About 1/2 half obscured... still play time
 "Hey what's up. It's getting colder."
This is as dark as we got but it really did get cold for a few minutes. The pups huddled for warmth and all was quiet - not even traffic noise.
The birds all started their morning songs as the pups resumed play once the sun started to warm the Pup-pan again.
Just as the sunlight come back again, I thought I should make Vineman rise again. He has severe vineoporosis and has shrunk about 3 feet over the past few months.
Amazing what a little floral wire can do to give a guy a total body lift. Vineman is more air-conditioned and  probably will need a complete make-over come fall when I harvest the grape vines but he may just make it through the rest of the summer.
 Lunch
 Koyuk jumped over my shoulder to make it into the Pup-den to partake in the meal.
The pups took full advantage of the suddenly available mobile milkbar.
Competition gets fierce. They have learned to grab, push and drag each other off a coveted nipple.
 Dinner.
No food-guarding at the feeding trough.
Milkbar competition is another story and always fun to watch.
I have potted herbs on the patio next to the Pup-den. They are butterfly magnets and I couldn't resist trying to take a picture of the fleeting orange beauties.

The sun and Vineman returned again. Not bad for one day.