BrownStone Chinooks is devoted to fostering the excellent health and wonderful temperament of Chinook dogs. Hard-working Chinooks excel in many activities such as agility, obedience, back yard play, hiking, dog powered sports, search and rescue, and as service dogs. The affectionate Chinook is an excellent family dog matching its activity level to that of its companions - be it strenuous exercise or snuggling on the couch.

Friday, August 9, 2013

Pups Outside? - Not An Option

First hint this might not be the best day to take the pups outside was a neighborhood watch alert, "cougar and cub sighting on our fence row".
The pups in my large laundry basket with their sights on breakfast while I changed the whelping box linens.
I am thinking of taking bets on which pup will be the first to breach the whelping box and when. Mr Green is on his way out the door opening. Good thing he can't see where he is going.
 When I went outside to pick blueberries, I put in the first door panel just in case. I also left their first "toys"
The second hint the pups should stay indoors was mom turkey showing her chicks the easy bounty of my blueberry patch. I can shew the jays, robins, crows and chick-a-dees raiding the blueberries but turkeys stand their ground.
The third hint was the sudden black sky, thunder and lightening that hit behind the house while I was maddly picking before hail knocked down ripe berries.
Since I was down in the garden, I don't know if the non-hearing puppies noticed the lightening strike. The hair on my head stood from static electricity. When I got back in the house, I found them navagating the egg carton speed bump...
and checking out the TP roll. (Visitors to my house always wonder at the collection of TP rolls in the bathtub. Pee and poop no problem. Just throw these toys away.)
To keep McKenzie and Cedar from atttempting to get Koyuk's food and to keep the puppies from trying to nurse when Koyuk is eating, I have been putting the food bowl just inside the whelping box. This evening the puppies zeroed in on the bowl...
or should I say "in" the bowl of icecrean kibble.
Tonight's sunset. Red sky at night - puppy play outside delight?